originally a transposing harpsichord made in Antwerp in 1617, and then ravalé in Paris, possibly by François Étienne Blanchet in 1750, and then in stages by Jacques Barberini, Paris, c.1775 and
then by Nicolas Hoffman, 1786.
Detail of the
spine decoration 3
of the spine is decorated only with ornaments and is lacking any figure
painting, giving the spine almost the feel of a roccoco mannerist decoration.
The painting has been done
in oil, and is painted on a ground of thick gold leaf.This type of decoration was known in the
eighteenth-century as ‘vernis martin’ after the Martin brothers who invented
and developed this luxurious type of furniture decoration.
The register regulation plate with the four screws, one for each register, is
visible near the top slightly to the right of centre.