A Franco-Flemish double-manual harpsichord, originally a 'transposing' harpsichord made in Antwerp in 1617 by an unknown maker.  It was given a bass ravalement in Paris sometime between 1742 and 1750.  Then it received a major alteration when it was lavishly decorated and given a treble ravalement in 1750 by François Étienne Blanchet, in Paris.  Later is was given a treble ravalement in 1786 by Jacques Barberini and Nicolas Hoffmann, also in Paris.


The Tomasini decorations on the jackrail

The decoration on the top of the jackrail of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord compared to the decoration on the 1889 Tomasini harpsichord in the Berlin Musikinstrumentenmuseum.  The decoration on the jackrail at the top has not yet cleaned or restored.


 This decoration is mostly in a style quite different from that of the rest of the decoration of the instrument and seems to have been added to by the decorator who worked for Tomasini around 1889.


Return to the section on the ethical problems encountered in the restoration of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord


Return to the section on the description of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord