A Franco-Flemish double-manual harpsichord, originally a transposing harpsichord made in Antwerp in 1617, and then ravalé in Paris, possibly by François Étienne Blanchet in 1750, and then in stages by Jacques Barberini, Paris, c.1775 and then by Nicolas Hoffman, 1786.

 

Cheek painting showing the extended bentside

This shows the cheek painting with the extension to the treble end of the bentside on the right from the line of the arrow to the present bentside/cheek join.  The figures on the cheek were probably once centred on the cheek as a whole but, when the bentside was extended, the right-hand end of the cheek and its painting were cut off.  The painting on the extended bentside is clearly by a different hand from the original, 1750 vernis martin decoration.

The case decoration has been cleaned, but not restored, in this photograph.

 

Return to the section on the eighteenth-century history of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord

 

Return to the section on the description of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord