originally a 'transposing' harpsichord made in Antwerp in 1617 by an
unknown maker. It was given a bass ravalement in Paris sometime
between 1742 and 1750. Then it received a major alteration when it was
lavishly decorated and given a treble ravalement in 1750 by François Étienne Blanchet,
Later is was given a treble ravalement in 1786 by Jacques Barberini
and Nicolas Hoffmann, also in Paris.
The Tomasini decorations on the
decoration on the top of the jackrail of the Franco-Flemish harpsichord
compared to the decoration on the 1889 Tomasini harpsichord in the Berlin
Musikinstrumentenmuseum. The decoration on the jackrail at the top has not yet
cleaned or restored.
decoration is mostly in a style quite different from that of the rest of the decoration of the
instrument and seems to have been added to
by the decorator who worked for Tomasini around 1889.