A Franco-Flemish double-manual harpsichord,
made in Antwerp in 1617 and then ravalé in Paris 1750, possibly by François Étienne Blanchet, and then in
several stages by Jacques Barberini, Paris, c.1775, Nicolas Hoffmann, 1786.
One of the French roccoco-style lid hooks from the Franco-Flemish harpsichord
This photograph, greatly enlarged, shows the exquisite moulding and casting of the lid hooks on the bentside of the instrument. The brass has been chased and fire gilt and has been cleaned, but not restored. The head of one of the vernis martin putti is just visible at the bottom of the photograph.
The lid flap and main lid hinges are of an equal standard of casting and gilding.